[Xorp-hackers] Adding support for older scons releases?

J.T. Conklin jtc at acorntoolworks.com
Mon Sep 28 20:07:39 PDT 2009

Hi Ben,

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:
> On 09/28/2009 05:09 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
>> I tried to compile xorp on Fedora 8.  It has scons 0.98 by default (yum install scons).
>>
>> This fails to compile with:
>>
>> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
>> SCons 1.2 or greater required, but you have SCons 0.98.4
>>

>> Anyone know what part of xorp has the requirements for newer scons?  In order to make
>> xorp easier for users to build, I'd like to attempt to fix up xorp to build with older
>> scons, as opposed to making people manually find, download, configure and install a
>> newer scons...
>
> This patch allows it to compile, but maybe there are subtle issues somewhere?

I think it's best to change the version number to the earliest version
we know we support.

> The -*-python-*- thing makes xemacs properly recognize the file and
> do syntax highlighting, by the way.  That token just needs to be
> somewhere in the first two lines of the file.

I have:

   (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
   (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("SConstruct" . python-mode))
   (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("SConscript" . python-mode))

in my ~/.xemacs/init.el.

If we do the -*-python-*- trick, I think it needs to be added to not
just the SConstruct, but also all the SConscript files.  It also
should be part of a separate commit.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin