[Xorp-hackers] valgrind: selector.cc: Reading free'd memory

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Sep 30 16:55:38 PDT 2009

Ben Greear wrote:

> Well, anything that links with any of the (external SVN) code in Xorp
> becomes GPL.
> They may have a private copy of some XRL logic that allows them to
> link proprietary
> protocols, I suppose...

You raise a valid point, and it's one that's worth addressing further.

The XORP libraries are in fact LGPLv2; the protocols, in the community
branch, just happen to be GPLv2. So the virality of the GPL doesn't
apply, just because a process happens to speak XRL.

The scope of the GPL was purely limited to individual routing processes,
not the core libraries, which are LGPL. The XRL RPC stubs don't actually
have an explicit license, and should probably be updated to reflect
either LGPL or public domain status.

I haven't looked at the corporate code in detail (other than seeing a
directory manifest and working with the SCons* files), so I can't speak
for the rest of the stack.

My understanding is that ongoing development there is subject to NDA. In
this case, the modules are probably being developed from scratch, so the
GPL probably doesn't apply in any form, in that instance.

> Well, I guess we'll see how that goes.  If corporate goes off and
> makes big
> structural changes, and we do similar, seems like we'll probably never
> merge
> a stable product in either direction, regardless of licenses involved...

Again, as I understand it, the routing processes are in similar
locations in the source tree, so two-way merges should be possible.
Given that the product is not using the Router Manager, this scenario
has in fact already happened.

thanks,