[Xorp-hackers] valgrind: selector.cc: Reading free'd memory

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Sep 30 17:10:05 PDT 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:
> The XORP libraries are in fact LGPLv2; the protocols, in the community
> branch, just happen to be GPLv2. So the virality of the GPL doesn't
> apply, just because a process happens to speak XRL.

P.S. Thrift has the Apache ASF license, which is mostly BSD / MIT like,
so has no virality.

Assuming the Thrift XRL refactoring work is successfully completed
(which looks likely at this point in time), the libxipc shims would be
sufficiently different from the original implementation to be candidates
for relicensing; only the shell of API needed for linkage to existing
XORP processes would remain. Whilst ABI (binary) compatibility is likely
it's not something I'm ruling in at this stage of the work.

It's likely the original LGPL license would be preserved at the point of
merge, as it could constitute a derived work, although the libxipc
change hasn't significantly changed since it was last released under a
BSD license, which is not viral.

In any event, external contributors would be free to make whatever
changes they like, without any obligations, providing they don't touch
code which has been GPLed (i.e. the RIB, FEA, or existing protocols).