[Xorp-hackers] More ideas for xorp code size improvements.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Apr 15 11:55:44 PDT 2010

On 04/15/2010 11:45 AM, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> On 04/15/10 19:26, Ben Greear wrote:
>>>>

>>> Futzing with 'string' might be a noop, because many STL implementations
>>> ref-count the internal string representation (GNU libstdc++ does, for
>>> example).
>>
>> Yeah, looks like it wouldn't save much..but would still save a little,
>> and should be cleaner code.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by cleaner code here.
>
> It's difficult for me to assess this further without seeing sample code.

It's a personal preference..and it saves a small bit of stack
space and ref-count increment/decrement.  But, probably it's
a small thing and not worth much worry, and certainly some time
it's not at all convenient or useful to pass by reference.

>> There might be other areas where we are passing stuff by value that
>> could be const foo& as well..but I haven't looked hard.

> Input arguments are generally passed by value (and constified) already.
> Output arguments are passing values back to the glue wrapper which
> invokes them. They are then responsible for output marshaling. As a
> side-effect, they can't be const and remain references; they'd have to
> become pointers.

Ok, I haven't yet looked closely enough to understand the limitations
of callbacks.