[Xorp-hackers] [Xorp-users] Xorp Router with ISP (RP discovery?) - ISP not supporting PIM

saurabh saurabh.pandya at elitecore.com
Thu Apr 29 03:44:58 PDT 2010

On 04/28/2010 08:40 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 04/28/2010 07:37 AM, saurabh wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I have two ISP for my multi-cast experiment
>>
>> 1) wireless broadband (eth3)
>> 2) wired broadband (ppp0)
>>
>> -ForWireless ISP I even can't see any IGMP/PIM message
>> over ppp0 interface (with tcpdump -i ppp0) after ppp0 get connected.
>
> Xorp isn't sending any messages at all on ppp0?  Maybe it only uses
> mcast on broadcast interfaces (such as Ethernet).
Xorp is sending IGMP quries and PIM hellos, but these is no IGMP/PIM
movement from wireless ISP side!!
Its is EDGE broadband connection..

>> -with wired broadband: (eth3)
>> For Wired ISP I can't see any PIM message but I could see IGMP queries !
>> means ISP not running PIM-SM on their router.
>> They are not willing to provide information on their multicast setup !
>
> I think if the upstream won't run multicast routing, there isn't much you
> could do locally to fix the problem.
May IGMP proxies solve this issue, when ISP not running PIM but running
IGMP.
According to my knowledge these proxies forward IGMP join and leave
messages to
ISP router on behalf of underlaying network. So that IGMP based ISP then
able to
route multicast data to your router.

I eager to know that If anybody had clubbed some IGMP proxy with xorp or
run them
independently with xorp? Any hint/point will be helpful .. :)

Thanks,
Saurabh