[Xorp-hackers] Does anybody have some suggesstion about SNMP?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Jan 6 18:39:28 PST 2010

On 01/06/2010 05:07 PM, wancheng82 wrote:
> Our team is developing one Layer2 switch stack based on xorp.
> We want to support SNMP.
> But it seems not easy to do these:
> 1)If we add SNMP SET,how to make sure CLI and SNMP configuration consistent
> 2)How to make the development easizer?
> I saw the implementation of BGP-MIB, and it is not easy to
> understand(May be I need to learn more about NET-SNMP api).
> 3)How to make the efficency better?
> Also the efficiency is not good, because BGP-MIB module maintains a
> timer to get info from BGP target.
> My idea is to integrated agent++ as one module, but I have not begin to
> think about it.
> Thank you.
> Robin.

I implemented SNMP on some telecom equipment years ago.  I have very poor
opinions of SNMP, especially for configuration (it's ok for read-only
reporting type of stuff).

I'd suggest not trying to implement SNMP write...spend your time making
the rest of xorp, including it's CLI, more useful & stable instead!

For reads, if you're running on top of Linux, you can probably use the
normal snmp tools to get info directly out of the kernel.