[Xorp-hackers] XORP Process Tutorial For New Build Method

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Jun 2 10:37:19 PDT 2010

On 06/02/2010 03:01 AM, Matthew Jakeman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there any documentation yet for the SVN version of XORP relating to
> developing XORP processes?
>
> The document at http://www.xorp.org/design_docs.html titled "An
> Introduction to Writing a XORP Process" is very thorough and useful but
> only seems to relate to the 1.6 release of XORP. From what I have been
> able to tell so far the latest version of XORP in the SVN repositories
> is quite different. IE the sections relating to the Makefile in the
> coumentation is no longer relevant because of the scons build system.
>
> If anyone has a modified version of such a document it would be much
> appreciated.

For the build system, I'd just copy an SConscript file from a similar
directory and modify it.  It should be fairly straight-forward.

Then, add your new directory to the parent directory's SConscript file.

Though the rest of the document might be quite old, likely it still
applies as there hasn't been a great deal of change in the actual
code architecture in quite some time.

As with anything of this nature..I'd start small, get something
compiling, and then go on to do great things :)