[Xorp-hackers] adding new cli command

Aleksandar Cvjetic aleksandar.cvjetic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 12:00:40 PDT 2010

Hi,

>From my experience, first I suggest you to read few articles, i.e.  "An
introduction to writing a XORP process", "XRL Interfaces: specifications and
tool"  and "XORP router manager process". Basically, you should edit
template file for the XORP process you are going to implement new
command (see xorp/etc/templates). This is necessary for rtrmgr to know about
new available command for the process. Additionally, you must provide
appropriate XRL interface for rtrmgr to resolve it when invoking command for
your process (see xorp/xrl/interfaces). Fortunately, there are two scripts
available to automatically generate some stub code related to XRL
interfaces. Every XORP process implements XRL target methods responsible
for receiving and processing XRL requests (like CLI command from xorpsh or
requests from other processes). These are virtual methods so developer is
expected to provide exact implementation for methods. Furthermore, XRL
target methods usually invoke a method in main program of a XORP process
where developer provides implementation of handling function. You will know
more about it after reading  "XRL Interfaces: specifications and tool".
Probably this is little bit confusing explanation, but after carefully
reading above documents should be more clear for you. At least, I managed to
implement a new command for BGP....

B.R.
Alex