[Xorp-hackers] Future Xorp development?

Mark Handley M.Handley at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 03:55:39 PST 2010

On 27 February 2010 13:27, Li Zhao <lizhaous2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am curious. Because of that ex-Xorp Inc, there could not have been changes to xorp code?

XORP Inc's focus had moved away from layer 3 routing, even prior to its demise.

So here's where we stand.  The XORP code is GPLed and on SourceForge.
The demise of XORP Inc does not affect that.  The mailing lists are
still at ICSI, and also are unaffected.  They're been administered by
Atanu and Pavlin since long before XORP Inc existed. The DNS and Web
servers were run out of XORP, Inc, but have since moved to safe
harbour on some of my machines here at UCL in London.  We have plenty
of resources to maintain them here indefinitely.

There is every intention that the XORP project will move forwards to
greater things in the future.  What we don't have at the moment are
any full-time staff, but open source projects often don't have full
time staff.  There are however, many things in the codebase that would
benefit from more active development and support.  How to achieve that
remains to be seen.

Mark
XORP project founder
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/M.Handley/