[Xorp-hackers] Recent developments and patch submission

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Mar 6 08:39:39 PST 2010

On 03/06/2010 04:20 AM, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Regardless of the current situation with XORP, Inc., it's important that
> contributors stick to a few ground rules regarding patch submissions.
>
> The workflow preferred is that patches intended for incorporation,
> should go to the Trac database on SourceForge in the first instance.
> This does require creating a SourceForge account. This workflow is no
> different from e.g. the Thrift project, which is hosted on Apache JIRA.
>
> It's great that folk are discussing patches on the lists, and trying to
> get issues addressed here, but from a maintenance point of view, we
> can't really use the mailing lists as a patch queue, and some basic
> procedures do need to be followed.
 >
> This is especially important in the light of the current funding and
> organisation situation. Please do remember that any maintenance that
> happens on XORP, for the foreseeable future, will be performed on an
> unpaid volunteer basis.

Especially with the demise of Xorp.inc, this is now an open-source project
or nothing at all.  If you can't get patches actively accepted or bug reports
actively debugged, then no developer or user is going to stay active for
long.

So, unless you specifically ask me to stop posting to this list, I'm going to continue to try
to accept patches that fix problems into my tree, even if they are not
perfect, and I'm going to continue to talk about it on the mailing list.

I'm using git for my source control, so it's trivial to view/extract each patch
that goes in later should anyone ever want to accept it upstream.