[Xorp-hackers] Show of hands on users please

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Mar 6 08:42:52 PST 2010

On 03/06/2010 04:46 AM, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Given the recent XORP, Inc. business failure, it's understandable that
> people are concerned about the future of the open source work product
> ongoing.
>
> We really need a show of hands, on organisations who may be using XORP,
> in a commercial or semi-commercial capacity. I have received some leads
> in this regard, and will be following up as time permits. If you or your
> organisation are using XORP, please get in touch.
>
> There is a strategy which needs to be followed in order to get the
> project back to healthy status, however, this may not be 100% compatible
> with a volunteer-based way of doing things.
>
> An interim 1.7 release is a possibility. This has taken a long time
> because the release management process has been starved of resources. It
> is likely that not all of the boxes which we'd like for that release to
> be ticked, would be ticked.

We (Candela Technologies) are using it for virtualized routing in our
network testing tools.

I have little interest in directly funding an outside organization to work on
Xorp, but we use internal resources to develop and test it for our
purposes, and might consider hiring contractors to work on xorp if
we ever have need.