[Xorp-hackers] Getting XORP to report queue length

Victor Faion vfaion at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 17:27:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 21:07, Li Zhao <lizhaous2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> does "cat /proc/net/tcp" help?

Yes this is the information I want, but possibly getting it through XORP.

>> You are looking for send/receive buffer sizes for the TCP
>> sockets?
>>
>> Like what 'netstat' reports?

Yeah basically, I guess backlog is the term for it. Also running tc -s
qdisc gives the number of bytes and packets of backlog, but I don't
really want to do it this way.

>> I don't actually even know how to get this out of the
>> kernel, but
>> there must be a way...

I thought there would be some protocol in XORP that gets this from the
kernel and wanted to do something similar, but I couldn't find it.
Also I thought XORP might have an interface to get this information
uniformly from different kernels instead of doing something system
dependent (and more expensive?) like using netstat or going in /proc.
I'm not too familiar with the protocols in XORP, is there one that
uses the backlog information for anything? I looked at the general
purpose libproto, but couldn't find it in there.

Victor