[Xorp-hackers] More VRRP problems.

Li Zhao lizhaous2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 06:32:37 PDT 2010

1. The first problem, I have had many times now. The code did not have
cleanup code to revert virtaul MAC, some signal handler function may be
needed to fix this. But use random MAC is not what RFC want because RFC
has restricted MAC format. If you use some random format there may be some
router implementation which rejects to connect to you.
2. I am using virtual machines so I can not play with cables. But if I
power off the master router, I did see the backup router is taking over
like the following:

admin at router-4> show vrrp
Interface	eth1
Vif		eth1
VRID		100
State		backup
Master IP	10.0.0.5
admin at router-4> show vrrp
Interface	eth1
Vif		eth1
VRID		100
State		master
Master IP	10.0.0.4

After I power on the master, I can see the switch back:

admin at router-4> show vrrp
Interface	eth1
Vif		eth1
VRID		100
State		backup
Master IP	10.0.0.5

[root at router-5 ~]# su admin
Welcome to XORP on router-5
admin at router-5> show vrrp
Interface	eth1
Vif		eth1
VRID		100
State		master
Master IP	10.0.0.5

So according to RFC, if the master stops sending heart beats, the backup
should take over immediately. I guess playing with cables should have the
same effect.