[Xorp-hackers] xorp: enable IGMP/PIM-SM over a VLAN interface on Linux

frank hu frank.1975.hu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:15:00 PST 2011

Hi,

sorry for asking some silly questions again. I am still battling to get
xorp to work for multicast routing. I hope that this is just because I am
not familar with xorp usage.

On the Ubuntu system, I created 2 VLAN interfaces using "vconfig", say
vlan800 and vlan300 on top of the real physical interface eth0. They have
IPv4 addresses assigned to them.

To enable IGMP and PIM-SM4 over it

set protocols igmp interface vlan800 vif vlan800 disable false
set protocols igmp interface vlan800 vif vlan800 version 2

set protocols pimsm4 interface vlan800 vif vlan800 disable false
set protocols pimsm4 interface vlan300 vif vlan300 disable false

when I commit, I got the following error: "Missing mandatory configuration
node "$(@.targetname)" required by node "protocols igmp".

Then I tweaked the configuration above o "...interface eth0 vif vlan800" or
"...interface eth0 vif vlan300". I found that that configuration is
accepted. However, after I commit it, I don't see the PIM-v2 hello messages
were sent out.

Then I researched xorp documentation a bit and found that it provided CLIs
to create VLAN interfaces.

User manual shows the sample configuration:
protocols {
   igmp {
     interface dc0 {
        vif dc0 {
          /* version: 2 */
          /* enable-ip-router-alert-option-check: false */
          /* query-interval: 125 */
          /* query-last-member-interval: 1 */
          /* query-response-interval: 10 */
          /* robust-count: 2 */
     }
   }
}

So I should be able to just reference the VLAN interfaces vlan800 and
vlan300 (which are recognized by ifconfig on my Linux)...

Am I talking sense here?

Thanks for any help!!

Frank