[Xorp-hackers] {Disarmed} Re: xorp: enable IGMP/PIM-SM over a VLAN interface on Linux

frank hu frank.1975.hu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 11:51:08 PST 2011

Thanks Ben for the kind help!

I did use the debuggers to look into the core dumps. However, I expected
xorp to be reasonably stable and such core dumps to happen only
occasionally.  From what I can see, the features XORP multicast routing
engine offers are pretty nice -- not too complex but good enough for even a
lot enterprise users. However, the software suite doesn't seem mature
enough to be bundled in industrial grade network devices.

Just some comment, if XORP also targets outside the academia community, its
overall configuration mechanism should be designed to be intuitive for
Cisco IOS users for the simple reason that most router admins are much
familiar with Cisco IOS CLIs. For example, why a multicast routing admin
(of XORP) needs to manually add register_vif interface? The software suite
needs to do that under the hood, instead of having the user do it.

 I think that my assessment of XORP multicast routing will stop here.

Also thanks a lot to Ray and everyone else that helped me through the
issues that I ran into -- I appreciate your time and your in-depth
expertise in XORP.

Frank