[Xorp-hackers] {Disarmed} Re: xorp: enable IGMP/PIM-SM over a VLAN interface on Linux

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Dec 8 11:58:26 PST 2011

On 12/08/2011 11:51 AM, frank hu wrote:
> Thanks Ben for the kind help!
> I did use the debuggers to look into the core dumps. However, I expected xorp to be reasonably stable and such core dumps to happen only occasionally.  From
> what I can see, the features XORP multicast routing engine offers are pretty nice -- not too complex but good enough for even a lot enterprise users. However,
> the software suite doesn't seem mature enough to be bundled in industrial grade network devices.

I think xorp can be made stable, but it will likely require dev work & testing to deal with bugs in
how you want to use it.  In general, it is much more stable if you create the
config file as you want it and then don't do too much with xorpsh.  I've fixed the problems
with how we do our own dynamic config of xorp...but obviously more remain.

At the least, please open a bug report for what you found (with backtrace & xorp log, etc).

> Just some comment, if XORP also targets outside the academia community, its overall configuration mechanism should be designed to be intuitive for Cisco IOS
> users for the simple reason that most router admins are much familiar with Cisco IOS CLIs. For example, why a multicast routing admin (of XORP) needs to
> manually add register_vif interface? The software suite needs to do that under the hood, instead of having the user do it.

No arguments with this, but I have no time or interest to re-write all of this.  If
someone else wants to fund this or work on it, I'll be happy to work with them.

> I think that my assessment of XORP multicast routing will stop here.

I'd be curious to know what you find if you find something better...