[Xorp-hackers] Remote finder: XRLs, or local ports?

Steven Simpson ss at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 08:05:07 PST 2011

Hello again,

In our project, we need one router to invoke XRLs on another.  Can it be
done?

I've seen two protocols mentioned: 'finder' and 'stcp'.  It seems that
stcp is typically the raw method, where the target is a host and port.
Meanwhile, finder takes a string target, and this is used to resolve the
finder: XRL into an stcp: one.  The finder also seems to do some access
control.  Right so far, I hope...?

One option for us is simply to get the host-port of one process S across
to another C, so that C can call S with stcp.  C will also have to
provide a callback XRL, also stcp.  Both processes therefore need to get
their port numbers to form stcp XRLs, but we can't seem to find a way
for the nodes (as Xrl*TargetBases) to obtain such details.  Is it
possible with the current API?

Is there an alternative way to do it with the finder, e.g. by
finder://local-target-name@remote-host/...?  We'd hope that this would
also allow us to continue using the finder's access control.

Thanks,

Steven