[Xorp-hackers] Compiling xorp 1.8.3 for Debian using g++-4.6

Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz jose.spam at netvisao.pt
Sun Jul 24 15:02:34 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 10:28:52AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 07/23/2011 06:27 AM, Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz wrote:
> >
> >I am packaging xorp 1.8.3 for Debian.  The default compiler is now g++
> >v4.6.  This compiler is more stricter than previous versions.
> >
> >This g++ have one new warnings:
> >
> >   -Wunused-but-set-variable
> >
> >This warning when used with -Werror causes a fail to build.  The
> >position on Debian is to fix the problems on the source code instead
> >of using the flag -Wno-error=unused-but-set-variable for disabling the
> >warning.
> >
> >I am asking if this problem is solved in the git repository or if will
> >be fixed in the near future.  Maybe this is a simple fix and is enough
> >to comment out the affected variables.
>
> Some may be solved in git, and if not, patches are welcome.

Here goes a draft of the patches.  This page explains the warning and
how to solve it http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-February/148523.html

For solving the errors, I have used various strategies:

 - Looks to be old forgotten code, so I commented the variable
 definition.

 - Variable and the the code looks to do nothing, so I
 commented everything.

 - The variable is not used because of a #ifdef, so I put the
 same #ifdef around the variable.

 - The variable is not used because of a macro, so I used
 "__attribute__((__unused__))" in the definition of it.

 - The function that calculates the value of the variable may have
side effects, so I used "__attribute__((__unused__))"

I am not familiar with the xorp code and my c++ skills are very rusty,
so most probably I missed something.  I looked into git hub, but the
code looked to be the same in the affected areas.

In attach follows a tar file with the patches.  The resulting code
compiles, but I have not run the compiled binary.

    Jose Calhariz

> Thanks,
> Ben

Volto atrás, sim. Com o erro não há compromisso

--Juscelino Kubitschek