[Xorp-hackers] Some fixes to OLSR (topology.cc)

Philip Hugg phugg at crc.ca
Mon Jun 13 13:01:13 PDT 2011

Hello Ben /all

I have attached the modified file 'topology.cc' that contains the
changes I've made
in the attempt to make OLSR more stable. Unfortunately, there are still
problems
with the OLSR but at least we are one step closer.

Tested Topologies:

     1)  9 nodes inline (wireless)
             n9 - n8 - n7 - n6 - n1 - n2 - n3 - n4 - n5

     2) 16 nodes, in 4x4 grid (wireless)

             n1 - n2 - n3 - n4
             n5 - n6 - n7 - n8
             n9 - 10 - 11 - 12
             13 - 14 - 15 - 16

             where,  N1 is nei with N2, n5, n6,
                           N2 is nei with n1,n3,n5,n6,n7
                           N3 is nei with N2,n4,n6,n7,n8
                           N16 is nei with n11, n12, n15.

             Topology is stable however a ping from N1 to N16 may not
take the shortest path
             (n1-n6-n11-n16) which is 3 hops. Instead, it may follow
path from N1-N2-N7-N12-N16 (4-hops?).
             When I re-issue the ping many times, it may take a
different paths.

         3) Mobility test: 9 nodes inline (as above).
             When moving N9 from N8 to N7 until we get

                         N9

                 N8 - N7 - N6 - N1 ...

                 In this case, OLSR asserts.

These are some of the scenarios I used to find the bugs. However, I was
pulled off
this work and assigned something else. I just thought I would contribute
my findings
if anyone want to continue.

Phil.

--