[Xorp-hackers] Where can I get the raw packet?

土井 博生 doi at criepi.denken.or.jp
Wed Jun 29 22:21:27 PDT 2011

I am a Japanese xorp user and a newbie xorp hacker :).

Now, I test a OSPF routing on xorp 1.8.3 with a simple network.

(Linux box A, ubuntu 11.04, OSPF) <----> (Linux box B, ubuntu 11.04, OSPF)

At first, I try to understand the packet flow inside xorp.
So, I read the source code fea/data_plane/io/io_ip_socket.cc
I guessed that the routine proto_socket_read() receives the raw packets.
Although I can capture OSPF related packets (Hello, DB, LSA) in proto_socket_read() on Linux box A, I cannot capture the other packets (ping packets or ARP) when I send ping packets from Linux box B to Linux box A .
Also I guess that xorp has another routine to receive raw packets and filters the raw packets and send to  proto_socket_read().

Please suggest me the routine which receives the raw packet at first.
I would like to understand the packet flow from first.

Thank you for your kindness and efforts.
Hiroki Doi