[Xorp-hackers] XORP documentation wiki is online.

Pierre Lepropre pierre.lepropre at student.ulg.ac.be
Mon Mar 14 17:27:39 PDT 2011

Hi Matthew, all,

> This is great. I have just had a look through the new documentation on
> the wiki and there are some significant updates on there that should
> make peoples introduction to XORP a lot easier.

That was/is *the* purpose I wanted to achieve and I'm kinda happy that
you're under that impression.

There are still a lot of things to improve, off course. But at this
point, it's more or less up to the community to improve everything else:
Ben and I can't do this alone.

> In particular the
> updated documentation for writing a process that has updated the old
> Makefile information to the latest scons processes (among other things).
> This will be especially useful to people who haven't used XORP before as
> it was one thing I struggled with a bit when first using XORP.

Yeah, about that I'd like to say something important: I'm still working
(and heavily struggling...) on it.

There are still important missing parts. I have a lot of things to add
and to specify but I can't do it right now. Indeed, as I said in a
previous 'hacker' mail (asking a question about proc and service
status), I'm trying to write a whole new xorp sample and minimal process
from scratch.

I've been at it for a couple of days now. There are many things
undocumented, even in the source files! I have been searching a lot
through the whole project... and I'm currently stuck.

> Huge thanks to both yourself and Pierre for this. Myself and Pierre are
> both working on the ECODE project from which this has come about and
> it's good to see that it has already pushed something back into the
> community.

You're welcome, I hope it's gonna help people like me trying to get into
XORP and constantly banging their heads on the same walls !

A last thing: I don't have much time for this now but if there are guys
out there doing their own ECODE-like XORP project and would like to have
their own part of the wiki for convenience and visibility purposes, that
could be arranged.

Cheers,

Pierre.