[Xorp-hackers] FW: [Xorp-users] Proposal to consolidate xorp mailing lists.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Mar 15 09:32:49 PDT 2011

On 03/14/2011 11:34 PM, Gorja Prasad-B22290 wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Could you enable me to send the queries to the mailing list as my reply to one of your e-mail is rejected(attached the same).

Did you register with the mailing list?

http://www.xorp.org/mailing_lists.html

> I have been using the XORP 1.6 sources for multicast protocols MLD,IGNP,PIM-SMipv4 and IPv6.
>

> 1. As XORP provides modularity, there is process for each module, my requirement is to run only multicast protocols: mld,igmp,and pim-sm for ipv4 and ipv6,
> What are the required processes( other than multicast)  to enable multicast processes along with igmp, mld, pim ipv4 and pimsm ipv6?. If
> I meant, are there any compilation macros to compile mandatory modules to run the multicast protocols processes thereby not required modules can be omitted for compilation?
> If this facility is available, one need not to compile the entire XORP source tree.

Yes.  scons --help
gives you some compile-time options.  See things like enable_bgp=no, etc.

We should add some notes about these options in the wiki docs...

> 2. I understand XORP provides an industry standard CLI(like juniper), are the configuration APIs are exposed to the user to have a customized CLI(by users) ?
> Is the soft reconfiguration, the dynamic configuration changes by user affective/reflected by routing process is supported ?? Do you recommend to use the configuration APIs?

The xorpsh tool can be scripted using the -c 'command' option.

Soft reconfiguration is available and should work.  Report bugs if you
find errors with this in the latest code.

I recommend using xorpsh for API.  If you find it cannot do something you want done,
open a bug and/or send a patch.

> 3. I have been using XORP1.6 on linux kernel 2.6.32, XORP.CT can also be used on 2.6.32 ?

XORP.CT (which is now the only upstream xorp) should work on that as well as older kernels.