[Xorp-hackers] Cand-rp hold time and priority in bootstrap message is being sent as 0 on ppc

Naidu Sai-B22341 B22341 at freescale.com
Fri May 6 02:41:30 PDT 2011

Hi,
I have compiled and brought up xorp-1.6 on a power pc platform.
I have used a small setup to test xorp with one RP and one DR.

Host1 (sender)-----------RUT1 (RP)---------RUT2(DR)------------------Host2 (receiver)

I made the required configuration to get RUT1 to be the RP and RUT2 be the DR for a group.
The multicast traffic got routed correctly when I used STATIC RPs. But when I tried to get the RP elected through bootstrapping, the routing failed.
After going through the bootstrap packets capture, I found that the cand-rp hold time and priority value were always being sent as zero. This happens irrespective of the values given in the config.boot file.
Even when no values are given for the cand-rp hold time and priority, the default value being sent in the bootstrap message is 0.

But when I replaced the powerpc boards with X86 PCs(with the same configuration files), traffic was getting routed correctly. The bootstrap messages had the correct (default) values for  cand-rp hold time and priority.

Has anybody faced similar issue? Could this be an endian issue?

Could anybody suggest a fix or point me to the location in the xorp code where this copy happens.

Thank you.

Regards,
Sai Naidu