[Xorp-hackers] XORP OSPF routing table

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Nov 23 12:21:58 PST 2011

On 11/23/2011 12:04 PM, Raluca Blidaru wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am interested to use XORP for building a testbed for testing router's security in OSPF routing tables attacks. The idea is to use an open source software router and access directly the routing table in memory/temp file, modify it by adding/changing routing entries and see how the information is propagated into a testing lab network.
>
> I've looked to the code and I found that there is an OSPF origin table which seems to keep the rounting information I may need to access. Where is this information stored? In /tmp folder? Is there already a built-in interface to read from the temp files created if there is where I have to look for the routing tables? Are these files saved in a readable format? If not, how I can access the OSFP routing table for the purpose I described before?
>
> Is XORP suitable for my project scope? Would any of you with expertise in how XORP is designed advice me if I am on the right track and how best I should approach this project?
>
> Thank you in advance for your answers and guidance.

The routing tables are all in RAM in the OSPF process, except for the routing
table(s) in the OS's kernel.

You can use xorpsh to print out the various routing tables and could parse that
if you wanted.

OSPF has a timer bug in the latest stable build, so please use the latest code
from github until I get a chance to release another build.