[Xorp-hackers] Porting XORP to Embedded Switch

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sun Oct 30 19:54:09 PDT 2011

On 10/30/2011 04:13 PM, Ed Blackmond wrote:
> I am thinking of using XORP to turn the switches for the backplane
> fabric of our blade server into a top of rack router.
>
> The blade server uses a Fulcrum switch connected to our 10G backplane
> fabric.  There are two independent switches in the system for
> redundancy and additional capacity.  There are two ports on each
> switch going to each blade slot, and 4 ports on each switch going to
> the front panel.
>
> Has anybody used XORP with a Fulcrum switch or another chip?  What is
> the level of effort for the port?  What sort of things will I need to
> expect?
>
> Is there a searchable archive of this list somewhere?

For once, xorp's complex modular design should be a benefit :)

You probably only have to hack on the fea, and of that, only the OS
specific parts (xorp/fea/data_plane/*).

Xorp is designed around PCs, so each interface is generally treated as
an ethernet port on a PC.  If you have redundant links and such you might
want to abstract that out in your OS, and treat a bonded eth0, eth1 as 'bond0'
and have xorp deal with only bond0.

But, that sort of thing depends a lot on how your hardware actually
works.

Note that xorp doesn't really process routed packets..it just sets up routing
tables and deals with routing protocol packets.