[Xorp-hackers] C++11

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Jun 8 09:15:19 PDT 2012

On 06/08/2012 06:42 AM, Igor Maravić wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply...
>
> I'm really sure if it is going to compile on Fedora 8. What is the
> earliest version of gcc that you wish to support?
>
> It has a lot of fancy new functionalities :)
> The most noticeable are standardized threading support, variadic
> templates (templates with variable number of arguments), lambda
> expressions (small inline functions written directly in to the code),
> move semantics (rvalue references), auto keyword, smart pointers...
>
> XorpCallback class could be written as variadic template - that would
> reduced the code size drastically, and it would be more readable.
> Move semantics have large impact on performances.
> With lambda expressions and auto keyword code could be written to be
> more readable.
> etc...

Fedora 8 is using gcc 4.1.2.

As clever as the new features might be, I think we should hold off for
at least a few years.  And, I still think that a well written object
hierarchy is the way to go for XorpCallbacks instead of using templates.

I don't ever want to add threads to Xorp...it is hard enough to debug a
multi-process construct..adding threads on top of that would make it
even more difficult.

Smart pointers might be useful, but in my opinion, smart-pointers often
just paper over design bugs where people never could figure out exactly
how the life-time of objects should be managed.  Truth is, I have more
issues with memory leaks when writing java code than in c & c++ :P