[Xorp-hackers] xrl calls from xorp_ospf to xorp_fea start failing when generating lots of calls.

Markus Zehnder markus.xorp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:17:05 PDT 2012

Hi there,

In my setup i have  a problem in ospf/ospf.cc Ospf<A>::transmit().
Around line 333, the call to _io->send() returns 'false'.

Setup: two linux boxes (virtual) with xorp 1.8.5, configured to run OSPF,
both boxes in the same area 0.0.0.0. The two machines
are connected with two links on different interfaces. The neighbor state of
the interfaces is "FULL".
OSPF is configured to distribute the static routes.

Scenario to trigger above problem:
- Modify the configfile of one box and add somewhat around 100 static
routes.
- Reload the configfile with "load <file>" in xorpsh.
Result:
- only about 60 to 70 routes get distributed with the first try. rest comes
later (with the retransmit when it works (see #109))
Debugging:
- ospf is trying to send LSA Updates, one packet for each route and
interface. The packets are passed to xorp_fea as
  mentioned at the top with the transmit() method. ..but that fails after
120..140 packets.

Can anybody give me some hint how that intented to work ? Is there some
queue overflowing in the xorp_fea? should
xorp_fea run with higher priority then the xorp_ospf.

I guess i do not yet understand the XRL stuff good enough...

Don't tell me that my scenario is not realistic. I try to reconfigure xorp
with a reload of the config file because that
should be faster than a complete restart. And i would like to know the
limits..when does it work and under which
condition will it fail.

regards
Markus