[Xorp-hackers] XORP PIM-SM Join/Prune Timers

Jonathan johonaton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 12:27:55 PST 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm doing some virtualized network testing, and some recent testing
scenarios call for changes to the pim join-prune timer
values...specifically, join_prune_period and join_prune_holdtime.

I'm admittedly very new to the XORP codebase, but in a pinch for time on a
very specific testing scenario.

I moved over to XORP after a quagga/pimd setup failed to provide stable
multicast routing. XORP, with the default configuration, did a much better
job at this, but I was unable to change the parameters I need to for
further testing.

However, in looking at the XORP codebase, it seems that join_prune_period
is not exposed in the templates, and join_prune_holdtime is not exposed at
all in the xif.

Furthermore, in pim_proto.hh it looks as though join_prune_holdtime is set
by a ratio of join_prune_period...I would like to change this ratio, or at
least change the period and holdtime independently. Exposing
join_prune_period in the template only solves half the problem. Since this
is for testing, simply changing the values in pim_proto.hh is far from
ideal...I'd need to expose them for either runtime or startup configuration.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Estabrook