[Xorp-hackers] PIM/SM: xorpsh cannot be started if bgp is disabled

Holger Kummert Holger.Kummert at sophos.com
Fri Mar 7 06:13:49 PST 2014

Hello,

I'm new to this list and also new to XORP.
In my use case only PIM/SM is needed and therefore other
routing protocols like
bgp, ospf, rip, vrrp, olsr are disabled in scons configuration
(enable_bgp=no ...).
xorpsh is enabled.
After installation of XORP the call of xorpsh lead to the message:
# xorpsh
[ 2014/03/07 11:32:45.685376  ERROR xorpsh:18451 RTRMGR
rtrmgr/xorpsh_main.cc:900 main ] xorpsh exiting due to an init error:
PARSE ERROR [Operational Command File: /share/xorp/templates/policy.cmds
line 73]: Bad variable name: $(policy.community-list.*); Last symbol
parsed was "$(policy.community-list.*)"

I inspected policy.cmds and found out that the four items for
community-list and
as-path-list
are all related to BGP. Therefore a simple deletion of those items in
policy.cmds lead to an error-free call of xorpsh.
So I have a workaround for the problem, but my questions are:

- Is my analysis right?
- If yes, shouldn't the four items in question moved to another place
(e.g. bgp.cmds)?

Thanks in advance,
Holger