[Xorp-users] Simulation with several routers on one machine

Orion Hodson orion@icir.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:40:25 -0700

On Apr 19, 2004, at 05:56, Xavier Brouckaert wrote:

> Is it possible to simulate a topology using a single machine in XORP ?

Yes, it should be.  We've not done this ourselves (yet!), but are very
interested in this as a development and testing path.

> Is User-Mode Linux required ?

User-Mode Linux is an option, as might be VMWare and it's kin.

There's also Marko Zec's virtualized network stack for FreeBSD
(http://www.tel.fer.hr/zec/BSD/vimage/) which AFAIK is lighterweight
because it has less VM work to do.

> Has someone already done that before ?  Is there documentation about
> it?
> If so, how many nodes can be simulated ? (How much memory does an
> average XORP router take ?)

We're not aware of anyone doing this with XORP, but would love to see
it happen.  We're largely tied up with the release right now, but if
you start out down this path and hit problems, we'll do what we can
help address them.

The memory consumption of XORP really depends on what is being run.
XORP with a full BGP feed is in the realm of 150MB.  O(10) instances is
probably a reasonable estimate.  Beyond O(10) expect problems with
keeping up in real-time.  This might require changes inside XORP to run
in slow-motion.

	Orion