[Xorp-users] open ports

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:35:53 -0700

> Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin@icir.org> wrote:
>
> > Just curious, do you really mean IPv4 PIM-SM router, or is it IPv6?
>
> It's IPv4 PIM-SM.
>
> > The reason I ask this is because currently NetBSD doesn't have PIM
> > kernel support for IPv4 (but only for IPv6).
>
> There are unintegrated PIM patches available, I'm running them.

Interesting. Is it a recent patch from say, the FreeBSD PIM kernel
patches that support the advanced multicast API or is this an
independent patch?

FYI, approximately a month ago I did a port of the FreeBSD PIM
kernel patches to OpenBSD (the choice of porting first to OpenBSD
rather than NetBSD was based on a specific user's request :)

My original intention was that once the patch makes it into OpenBSD,
then I will port the patch to NetBSD as well. The idea was that by
doing it sequentially I can incorporate the feedbacks from the
OpenBSD folks into the NetBSD port so both patches can be kept
reasonably in sync. You can get my original email with the links to
the patch from the following URL:

http://www.sigmasoft.com/~openbsd/archive/openbsd-tech/200407/msg00145.html

Though, the OpenBSD patch hasn't been incorporated yet, so that had
delayed my attempt to work on the NetBSD port.
Unfortunately, due to time constraints I may not be able to work
immediately on the NetBSD port.

If you know someone who can port the OpenBSD patch to NetBSD I will
be glad to pass the token. Otherwise, can you give me some rough
estimation (from NetBSD release schedule point of view) when would
be good time to do the port. The reason I ask is because if I am to
do the port I will be doing it for NetBSD-current, and if the CVS
repository is feature-freezed waiting for the next release to
happen, then I'd like to avoid updating the patches to keep-up with
NetBSD-current.