[Xorp-users] Linux 2.6 multicast issue using PIM

Adam Greenhalgh adam@hiddennet.net
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:33:26 +0100

I don't think the v6 multicast stack on linux is as mature the one on
freebsd, a number of things aren't there. I am not quite sure what they
are, Pavlin is probably the best source of information. However the
linux network developers seem to be aware of problems, perhaps it is
time to talk with them and try and pull linux up in line with freebsd.
The recent linux kernel summit generated the following,

http://developer.osdl.org/shemminger/ns2004/

It would seem that prior to the recent linux kernel summit that there
was a two day linux networking summit, above is a link to the slides and
notes from that summit. I guess it gives us an idea who is doing what
and what is planned to be done, perhaps now is time to send ideas or
patches to them for the bits that we are missing.

Some info about the linux kernel summit is here.

http://lwn.net/Articles/93985/

Is anyone involved with the linux kernel networking stack ? As now would
be a good time to get xorp's requirements into the linux path.

Adam