[Xorp-users] Linux 2.6 multicast issue using PIM

Chris Robson crobson@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:13:05 -0400

--=======F922DC=======

Pavlin

Thanks for the info, but I dont think the setup is the same and I'm no
expert but not running all Linux 2.6 Fedora Core 2 is also a concern.  From
your setup I wonder if FreeBSD is hiding a problem?

My setup was the following.......

Host <--> Core 2 (acting as edge router) <--> Core 2 (acting as backbone
rtr) <--> Core 2 (edge rtr) <--> Host.

I've tried these combos of with no success:
QUAGGA, PIMD
GATED (binaries for Red Hat 7.3 linux 2.4)
XORP

and the PIMDs I find on the net are all from circa linux 2.4 but they do
build for Linux 2.6.

What I saw was Pim Hellos going out but nothing coming back when running
tcpdump on one of the edge rtrs.  But as you indicate and I havent done yet
is run the latest XORP (CVS, I'm  using release 1.0) and just this morning
I downloaded a new kernel release for Fedora Core 2 on my Web server, so
obviously I have some updating to do and more testing to run.......

....thanks......

---