[Xorp-users] Linux 2.6 multicast issue using PIM

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:21:45 -0700

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 02:04:14PM +0200, Arnaud Le Taillanter wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why is PIM kernel support necessary for the Xorp
> PIM daemon to operate?
> I've successfully run XORP PIM on a FreeBSD box, I followed the
> documentation and enabled the kernel options MROUTING (fair :) and also
> PIM, but I don't see why Xorp PIM would need PIM support from the
> kernel. Xorp BGP doesn't need BGP support from the kernel for example.

BGP lives entirely in userland; it only requires specific kernel support
in special circumstances (TCP-MD5).

PIM does not live entirely in userland. Multicast forwarding functions are
located within the kernel.

BMS