[Xorp-users] Linux 2.6 multicast issue using PIM

Chris Robson crobson@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:25:06 -0400

--=======4A23800=======

Bruce
Thanks for the comment and this is why the local concern here is the kernel
multicast functions are not really working in Linux 2.6, therefore, any
user apps (aka PIM) wont function correctly.

...chris

At 08:21 AM 8/23/2004, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 02:04:14PM +0200, Arnaud Le Taillanter wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, why is PIM kernel support necessary for the Xorp
> > PIM daemon to operate?
> > I've successfully run XORP PIM on a FreeBSD box, I followed the
> > documentation and enabled the kernel options MROUTING (fair :) and also
> > PIM, but I don't see why Xorp PIM would need PIM support from the
> > kernel. Xorp BGP doesn't need BGP support from the kernel for example.
>
>BGP lives entirely in userland; it only requires specific kernel support
>in special circumstances (TCP-MD5).
>
>PIM does not live entirely in userland. Multicast forwarding functions are
>located within the kernel.
>
>BMS
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.