[Xorp-users] IPv6 multicast forwarding help needed

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:40:45 -0700

> >> here is our configuration:
> >
> >Typically, within "mld" and "pimsm6" you would enable both rl0 and rl1.
> >

> We have tried that also. It didn't work. PIMSM6 works (network sniffing
> showed routers exchange PIM Hello packets). show pim6 neighbors and show
> mld groups gave good result.
>
> show mfea6 (interface address, dataflow) command gives nothing. could the
> problem be there?
>
> Also, we have noticed that MLD wont start unless default-system-config is
> set. When we try configure fixed addresses in config file, log shows
> invalid primary address during startup. When we set addresses manualy. and
> configure default-system-config in interfaces section, router
> >starts fine.

Darko,

I have fixed the xorpsh CLI problem (the mfea6 CLI output itself
wasn't enabled on startup). Also, I did a bit of refactoring of the
code related to updating the primary address, hence please get the
lastest code from CVS. Though, this fix shouldn't have impact on the
multicast forwarding problem you have.

However, I think that if you don't use the default-system-config
statement, then the problem you have with the primary address is
that you haven't specified the link-local address.

If you explicitly specify the IP addreses per interface, then you
should specify all addresses. At least, in case of IPv6 you should
specify the link-local address, and a domain-wide address. MLD and
PIM-SM use the link-local address to originate the control packets
that are multicast on that LAN.

FYI, I just tried PIM-SM (IPv6) on FreeBSD-4.9, and I didn't see
any problems.
Hence, could you send me your topology and the log output from each
XORP router (but make sure that in your config file(s) all
appropriate network interfaces are enabled inside the
interface/mfea6/mld/pimsm6 configuration blocks).
After looking into the log output I may ask you about some CLI
output as well.