[Xorp-users] Linux 2.6 multicast issue using PIM

Chris Robson crobson@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:28:08 -0400

--=======17F8287C=======

Pavlin

Sorry, its been a while, but as I said, work sometimes gets in the
way.  Anyway, I have had some real success.  Rebuilt 4 machines as Fedora
Core 2 with the latest Fedora updates (this took sometime in itself) and
download the latest XORP CVS and built it into the machines.  Then put
together the following network, note all connects where machine to machine
with "no" ethernet hub or switch between them.

Linux 2.6 router <------> Linux 2.6 rtr <--------> Linux 2.6 rtr.

At first one of the edge routers was behaving strangely.  It would get into
RIP query - response cycles.     Even before running XORP however I noticed
the machine's behavior as strange in that it was very slow in responding to
anything (aka painting windows, cursor movement, not a hacker problem cause
the network is unaccessible from anything external).  Anyway, I replaced it
with another machine.
So the bottom line is  XORP appears to work and things like PIM neighbor
updates and rip routing seems to function.  Seeing PIM peers and what
appears as good hello exchanges (tcpdump monitoring) is telling me I've
gotten much further than my problems I first reported to you.
Now I have to wonder, was it the Fedora upgrade that fixed the problem or
what.  I suspect it was the slow machine, because the original test
environment (my systems at work) I also noticed that my backbone Linux box
was behaving strangely slow as well.  Specifically, the hardware I was
using was as follows.  One the edge where two Dell dual Xeon servers and
the backbone router was a Dell single P4 processor server system.  During
my tests at work I noticed doing things like tcpdump on the P4 was erratic
at best, with the display output doing nothing at time when running traffic
through the P4 Dell.  So I suspect either a bad built system or overloaded
processor.  I'm going to re-architect my configuration at work, replacing
the P4 for another dual Xeon system and retest.

I do have another question.  how does the "configuration" command work?  I
have created a xorp account and even logged in as the xorp user but every
time I try configuation command in xorpsh it tells me no permissions.

....chris

At 05:44 PM 8/23/2004, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:

> > Sorry, I thought I said, all my linux boxes where directly connected to
> > each other.  But anyway, you have asked for info whcih will take me a few
>
>OK, that is good to know. I thought that there is some unusual
>connectivity between them that would complicate the problem.
>
> > days to collect, which I already have started doing, namely, updating all
> > boxes in the cofnigure with the latest Fedora Core 2 updates (which
> > includes a kernel update) and I did a CVS pull and rebuild.  One question
> > however, when I do "make check" on the XORP build, it fails one of the
> > tests (I'll have to get that info to you later), should I focus on making
> > sure it passes all tests, or not worry about the check test.  Again the
> > test config is .......
> >
> > Host<---->Linux RTR<--->Linux RTR<--->Linux RTR<--->host
> >
> > All RTRs are directly connected to each other, hosts will actually be
> > connected to associated Linux RTR via a Linksys
> > hub.  I.E.   Host<-->Linksys Hub<-->Linux RTR.  But the Linux RTR links
> are
> > "not" thru the hub but RTR to RTR direct.
> >
> > I'll need about a week to complete this, unfortunately I have a job
> that is
> > getting in the way of fun stuff......
>
>BTW, which particular test fails when you run "gmake check"?
>For now I wouldn't worry about that particular test.
>Anyway, after you have completed the update and have collected the
>tcpdump info please let me know the result so we can take it from
>there.
>
>Thanks,
>Pavlin
>

>---