[Xorp-users] MLD on FreeBSD

Bernhard Schmidt berni@birkenwald.de
Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:55:27 +0100

Hi,

> > xorp itself and PIM seems to work quite fine, I can see the neighborship
> > on the Cisco on the other side of gif1. My problems are concerning MLD.
> > I can see MLDv1 listener queries sent by xorp on the wire (and they are
> > nicely recorded in the trace)
> >
> > [ 2004/12/04 01:31:14 TRACE xorp_mld MLD6IGMP ] TX MLD_LISTENER_QUERY
> > from fe80::240:63ff:fed3:e0f0 to ff02::1
> > [ 2004/12/04 01:31:14 TRACE xorp_mld MLD6IGMP ] TX MLD_LISTENER_QUERY
> > from fe80::240:63ff:fed3:e0f0 to ff02::1
> >
> > but when I'm subscribing a multicast group on a client directly
> > connected on vr0 nothing happens. I can see the MLDv1 listener report in
> > tcpdump on the xorp-host, but there is no logmessage and no group is
> > visible in xorpsh. Setting the interface to promisc mode did not help.
> >
> > Any tricks I missed? I've saved the configuration at
> >
> > http://www.birkenwald.de/~berni/tmp/xorp.txt
> Your config file seems fine. Could you confirm that if you run
> pim6sd, then pim6sd is able to see the MLDv1 listener reports on
> vr0. This test can be used to narrow the problem: if pim6sd is fine,
> then the problem is definitely in XORP.

Suck suck suck, I always find problems shortly after posting to mailing
lists. Sorry for that :-)

The problem seems to be the firewall... I'm using pf, when I disable it
mld is able to catch up the requests. But, the only block rules in the
configuration are associated to tun0, and all block rules have logging
enabled. There is no drop recorded though, so this seems to be a side
effect.

And guess what, I can receive multicast. But due to disabled NAT no
IPv4, so I think this needs more work :-)

Only problem is, connection is lousy. I have ADSL with 3Mbps downstream,
listening to some french radio at ff1e::8888 with about 300kbps...
hickups constantly. Free bandwidth from the DSL termination equipment to
the Cisco with the tunnel is more than 50Mbps. Yesterday I hooked up
with the notebook directly on the Cisco and the audio was sane, so I
guess the connection there should be good as well.

CPU load on the router is good... any ideas or experiences?

Bernhard