[Xorp-users] Problems with "priviledged instruction fault" and 1.0RC

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:40:08 +0100

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 03:45:04PM +0100, Dave Price wrote:
> 	I've just made a 1.0 RC LiveCD and and attempted to boot
> it on a PII-MMX 350 with 3384K ram which I have managed to srounge and added
                           ^^^^^
3.3MB?
Can you re-check the amount of memory in the machine?
Is the memory in this machine known good and working?
16MB is what I'd regard as a bare minimum for FreeBSD these days.

> 	During the process of booting, a message
> "Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz
> appears and then I get
> Fatal Trap 1: privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode

There is a problem of some kind but not enough information to diagnose it.

The suggestions by others on this list to try booting a regular FreeBSD
4.9 CD, or even FreeSBIE, are most helpful here.

> and then lots of detailed contents of registers etc.

Can you post the traceback in full to me off-list? You may need to use
a serial console and null-modem cable to get this info, please see:
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

Regards,
BMS