[Xorp-users] Problems with 'priviledged instruction fault' and 1.0RC

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:23:21 +0100

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 06:21:39PM +0100, Adam Greenhalgh wrote:
> > Thanks for reply.  It looks like the machine did not really want to run
> > at 350 Mhz, its had soft CPU setting, the defaulty for which turned out
> > to be 233 so I set to that and faults went away.

Overclocking and FreeBSD often don't mix.

> > Now though, it only seems to want to spot three of my ethernet cards,
> > not all four.   They have a rtl8139d chip on them.  It spots rl0, rl1 and rl2
> > but no more.  Any ideas??

The most likely scenario I can think of here is that the fourth rl(4) card
is not in a bus-master capable slot. Many motherboards have such a
limitation in that only a finite number of slots are connected to the
PCI bus arbiter with the necessary signalling in place for bus mastering.

The rl(4) driver should share interrupts without problems, as it isn't
marked as INTR_FAST, but it's entirely possible there is a PCI routing
problem with your BIOS.

I'd suggest using a tool such as pirtool to check what the PCI routing
is (available from my website):
	http://www.incunabulum.com/code/projects/pci/freebsd/pirtool/

..although much of this information should be printed if you boot
FreeBSD in bootverbose mode (boot -v at the loader's 'ok' prompt).

Regards,
BMS