[Xorp-users] PIM support in XORP 1.0

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:31:18 -0700

>     Joćo> Sorry, but I could not find this info anywhere.
>
> The status information <http://www.xorp.org/status.html> link is hidden
> on the downloads <http://www.xorp.org/downloads.html> page. The
> configuration guide should give you a good idea of what features are
> supported by PIM
> <http://www.xorp.org/releases/current/docs/rtrmgr/config_guide.pdf>.
>
>     Joćo> How good is PIM support in XORP 1.0?
>
> Its difficult for us to make this judgement. Check the PIM section in
> the ERRATA to see the problems that we are aware of. We have received
> very positive feedback from people that have tried PIM.
>
> Perhaps people on the list could share their experiences?
>
>     Joćo> Has it already been fully integrated?
>
> We have tested feeding BGP multicast routes to PIM.

In addition to Atanu's info I'd like to note that PIM-SM has been
integrated with the RIB as well so now for example it can be
configured with static multicast-only routes (a feature that many
users asked for).

However, the RIB integration is true only if you run PIM-SM from the
rtrmgr. The pim/test_pim binary that can be used for testing purpose
doesn't include yet the RIB. Soon it also will be integrated.

Pavlin