[Xorp-users] Adding a new user to a LiveCD boot of XORP

Mark Handley M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:38:05 +0100

>	I need to be able to add another account to
>a LiveCD boot of xorp so as I can log in and then "su"
>to root to do some things. The standard ssh setup does not allow
>diredt logins as root it seems and if I log
>in as xorp, I can't su from the xorpsh shell.
>
>	So, is there a recommended way to add a new account so
>as it will still be there after I reboot etc. I guess whatever
>changes I make need to get saved to the config CD etc.

Ideally, you'd be able to add and delete users from the XORP CLI.  But
we haven't implemented this functionality yet.

If you can login as root on the console, you can use the adduser
command.  Then you should reboot the machine, and this should force a
write to the floppy of the password file.  Otherwise could could copy
/etc/passwd and /etc/master.password manually to the locations on the
floppy indicated in the /mnt/floppy/manifest file.

If you can't login as root because the machine is remote, then I
don't really have a good suggestion.  Sorry.

If you can't login as root because the machine has no keyboard or
monitor, then you could manually copy a modified sshd_config file
(permitting root login) onto the floppy, and add a manifest entry to
the manifest file on the floppy that will cause it to be copied into
/etc/ssh/sshd_config after boot.

Hope one of these works!

 - Mark