[Xorp-users] Adding a new user to a LiveCD boot of XORP

Dave Price dave.price@aber.ac.uk
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:36:28 +0100

Dear Mark,

M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk said:
> Ooops - my bad.  I should have added /usr/local/xorp/bin/xorpsh to /
> etc/shells.  You could manually do this before using adduser.

I did that, but it also complains about not having
a /etc/adduser.conf file.   This then mislead me, as adduser's
prompts are then really asking you for info for that file
rather than for the user you are trying to add....

Once I get my head around that, I entered info for it to put
in that file and then the info for my new user.

I then tried logging in as my new user and using "su"
to change to root.   That failed saying I was not in group "wheel".
I then deleted my new user and then added it again this
time saying I wanted to be in "wheel" at the appropriate place.

However, when I now try to "su" to root it comes back and says "Sorry"
even though I know I am getting password correct.   Investigations
led me to a file called   /etc/login.auth [or some such, I'm
in office and can't quite rememeber... and I can't
remote log in to check :-( ]    Do I need to edit that??

I'm also having problems that I can update the config from
xorpsh and issue a "save"  (to either of   /etc/xorp.cfg
or /etc/xorp.conf  ) but when I reboot it seems to have lost my changes...
I'll have a look again on that though in a few minutes time.

I'm also getting a "watchdog timer" message associated with
one of my four ethernet interfaces and I can't seem
to manage to see traffic on it using tcpdump and I can't ping
that interface from elsewhere.   I'm about to change card yet again,
but any other ideas??

Thanks Mark (& folks)

Any ideas??

Dave Price