[Xorp-users] Setting default routes

Mark Handley M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:31:31 +0100

>atanu@icsi.berkeley.edu said:
>> I tried the following in my config file, it worked for me.
>> ---------------------------------------- protocols {
>>   static {
>>      route4 0.0.0.0/0 {
>>          nexthop:  144.124.0.2
>>          metric: 1
>>      }
>>   } } ----------------------------------------
>
>That lookss exactly the same as what I believe I had
>added yesterday when I could not seem to get it to work.  I'll
>try again.   Slight complication in so much as we subnet
>144.124.x.x (at 22 bits) and so the interface to the default
>is on a subnet of this, but I can't see that should change things.
>
>I have NOT enabled the unicast FEA as I don't actually want this box
>to unicast forward between its ports, I plan to just get it
>to act as a multicast router.  I wonder if that interacts.
>Anyway, I'll try to static default route again.

I'm not completely clear what you're trying to do, but there's a fair
chance that you're putting the static route only in the unicast RIB
and PIM-SM is looking in the multicast rib.

Can you try the mrib-route4 command instead of the route4 command?

The route4 command only inserts the route into the unicast RIB.  the
mrib-route4 command has identical syntax, but puts the route in the
multicast RIB.  This sounds like what you want - ie the route to NOT
be used for unicast forwarding, but to be used for topology discovery
for forwarding multicast joins and prunes towards the RP (if this
isn't the RP itself) and towards multicast sources.

>That lets you discover their existence, but it does not give
>precise descriptions of their role etc.  Some have names
>which might be interpreted in more than one way I felt.

Agreed - an improved user manual is high on my priority list.

 - Mark