[Xorp-users] Was: Setting default routes Now: general config problem I think...

Dave Price dave.price@aber.ac.uk
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:26:07 +0100

This is a multipart MIME message.

--==_Exmh_-21163577130

Dear Mark, Atanu and All,

M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk said:
> I'm not completely clear what you're trying to do

A more coherent description from me...

I am attempting to set up an Xorp
machine that will normally be used as
a multicast router to feed three internal networks
(possibly more later, but ignore that for now)
fed from one other network that leads
to our JANET connection and on to the Internet....

"Internal" networks carry the numbers 193.60.10.x/24, 193.60.11.x/24 and
193.60.15.x/24

The feed network is 144.124.32.0/22  (i.e. all of 32,33,34 and 35
for third place).

The upstream PIM-SM neighbour is 144.124.35.254 and my machines
interface to that network is 144.124.34.30

For complex reasons (read network with odd routers.....)
I have to use a distant router as the RP (don't ask...)
it has IP address 146.97.34.8

I needed to add a default static unicast route
to the XORP config so I can get to and fro
our other local machines on the other subnets to 144.124.0.0
but I don't want the XORP machine to actually unicast route
between its interfaces.  When I was
emailing to/fro Atanu I was then just trying to establish
initial unicast connectivity.  I've got that all o.k.
now.

[Aside: except following my earlier track of emails
I still cannot manage to allow my new "plain" use
account "dap" to su to root etc from either a console
login or from a remote ssh session].

I have (just before reading Mark's email) set up
all the multicast related configurations.

I have added a static default route in the mrib-route4
part pointing to the upstream router.

I have enabled the MFEA and added all four of my network
interfaces into that as I want it to multicast
back and forth between each of these.

I have created all the protocols-igmp stuff
for all four interfaces and the register_vif
(once I worked out it was an underscore and not a dot!)

[Aside: when I did do it with a dot in name, it let
me create it all but then gave a syntax error when
I tried to commit the change. I guess that's correct,
but it was sort of only by luck I spotted I had the dot
and not an underscore]

I have created the protocols-pimsm4 stuff for all four
interfaces, the register_vif interface and set a static RP
to point to the distant router. I set the switch-to...
stuff to match the documents.

[Aside: do I really need to add all four interfaces
into the PIMSM setting as the only PIM neighbour
is upstream and I guess only IGMP is used to signal
on the other three networks that hosts are interested
in multicast traffic etc.  I only added the upstream
one first but that seemd to not work so I added
the other three, but I don't think its really working now
anyway...]

I have not enabled the fib2mrib stuff as I only have
directly connected networks plus the default route
which I have manually added as a static-mrib4 entry.

I've just started a copy of "sdr" on my Sun workstation
here having thrown away its cache from when it was
last used back in 2002!   However, my sdr display
is not filling with anything.....

I've attached a copy of /etc/xorp.cfg to this email, anyone
someone can have a look for me and spot any obvious
(or less obvious :-) ) problems....

Dave Price

--==_Exmh_-21163577130

/*XORP Configuration File, v1.0*/