[Xorp-users] Well - I'm half working....

edrt edrt@citiz.net
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:4:1 +0800

>> And according to the MRIB and neighbor information you provided,
>> this may also be the root of the problem :
>>
>> The Xorp router failed to send Join(*,233.3.18.1) to 144.124.35.254,
>> because Xorp router haven't learn hello from 144.124.35.254.
>
>Exactly, this was what I think the problem is.
>
>> But what puzzles me is that at this situation, how could the
>> (*,233.3.18.1) TIB entry's Upstream state be in Joined state ?
>
>This is legitimate. The Upstream state is Joined because there are
>directly-connected members.

Oh yes, the state only means JoinDesired(*,G) is true,
not stands for JoinDesired(*,G) is true AND the router actually sends Join(*,G) to upstream neighbor.

>However, because the RPF'(*,G) upstream
>next-hop roter toward the RP is NULL, the Join messages are not
>sent.

Yes. I failed to notice that.
This is one reason why the definition of RPF'(*,G) in the latest draft is changed to using
   "NBR( RPF_interface(RP(G)), MRIB.next_hop( RP(G) ) )"
instead of
   "MRIB.next_hop( RP(G) )"

Regards,
Eddy