[Xorp-users] Routing Daemon Reliability

Atanu Ghosh atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:41:20 -0700

We are aware of testing hardware such as SmartBits which is used for
testing hardware. We unfortunately don't have access to one of
these.

The University of New Hampshire runs an interoperability Laboratory
<http://www.iol.unh.edu/consortiums/routing/>. We have not had XORP
tested.

We been been focusing on correctness not load. Having said that we have
full IPv4 and IPv6 BGP feeds connected to XORP routers (RIP and PIM also
enabled). We are currently seeing 140811 IPv4 routes and 73 IPv6
routes. For a few weeks before the release we were sending production
traffic through a XORP router. We are not doing this at the moment
because we periodically toggle the BGP peerings to try and trigger
problems. We monitor process sizes, open files, swap usage etc...

We have regression tests that that we run every few hours on a variety
of platforms and compilers. For BGP we have built a test harness that is
run as part of the regression test run, this tests the correctness of
our BGP. For multicast we
<http://www.xorp.org/releases/current/docs/pim_testsuite/pim_testsuite.pdf>
manually run a set of tests. We intend to automate the running of these
tests.

We have a small testbed that we can use to test simple topologies. We
have also experimented with using multiple vmware instances to build
simple networks in one host. We are intending to use IMUNES
<http://www.tel.fer.hr/imunes/> for testing complex topologies.

	Atanu.