[Xorp-users] Sending update packets

Nathan K doesnotcount@hotmail.com
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:49:21 -0500

I'm attempting to build and send an update packet to xorp peer using the
UpdatePacket class and the Peer::send_update_message method. When I send
update packets with nlri information and various path attributes, there are
no problems. However, when I send an update packet with a single withdrawn
route, it doesn't seem to get sent out.

The packet is built like so:

UpdatePacket packet;
IPv4 ip(<ip in network-byte-order>);
IPv4Net ipnet(ip, prefLength);
BGPUpdateAttrib attrib(ipnet);
packet.add_withdrawn(attrib);

And sent like this:
send_update_message(packet);

My problem is typically send_message_complete usually gets called with a
DATA event, but in the above case, I only get a FLUSH event and tcpdump
reveals that no data was sent out. Dumping the string representation of the
packet before it is sent gives this:

Update Packet
- Withdrawn 10.1.1.1/32

Which should be fine.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks.

-Nathan.

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.