[Xorp-users] Help !

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:29:32 -0700

> On Friday 15 April 2005 14:21, zze-BEN SAID Mehdi RD-CORE-ISS wrote:
> > I'm a XORP new user, I configured and compiled Xorp correctly, then when
> > I tried to start it (by using the -n option) just to test it. He failes
> > to communicate with xorp_rtrmgr.
> > Then I understood that I have to star xorp_rtrmgr before. I did it, but
> > it told me that it failed to open the "config.boot" file. In the
> > documentation, they said that this file would exist in the xorp
> > installation directory, but I didn't find it! So create one, by copying
> > the "config.boot.sample".
> > I restarted xorp_rtrmgr. This time, it worked. I started "xorpsh", it
> > worked too. But when I tried to enter the configuration mode here is
> > what I had:
> >
> > xorp>configure
> > ERROR: You do not have the permission to do this operation..
> > xorp>
> >
> > Notice that I was doing this as root!!!
> >  So please somebody explain this to me, I don't really know what to do.
> > Thanks
> If i rember well, i think that you need to create a group xorp and put the
> user you use to start xorp in this group.
>
> Regards,
> Philippe.

FYI, now the "Getting Started" web page is updated to include the
missing information. Now the relevant section reads:

===
Use the xorpsh command line interface after the rtrmgr is
started. The xorpsh has to be in configurational mode:

    Xorp> configure
    Entering configuration mode.
    There are no other users in configuration mode.
    [edit]
    XORP>

On UNIX, only an user who belongs to group "xorp" can run xorpsh in
configurational mode. It should be noted that command line
completion in the xorpsh does greatly simplify configuration.
===