[Xorp-users] XORP RIP enabled. Why are static routes required?

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:19:57 -0700

> I have implemented a testbed (shown below) using XORP+click. Click is
> running in user mode.
>
> CLIENTPC1 --- XORP1 ------ XORP2 ------ CLIENTPC2
>
> Both XORP1 & XORP2 have been configured for RIP on both the interfaces. As
> expected I can see the RIP packets on all the interfaces. But the issue is
> when I try to ping CLIENTPC2 from CLIENTPC1 it fails.
>
> To get around the above problem I added static routes to both XORP1 & XORP2
> so that they know routes to each others networks. When I try to ping from
> CLIENTPC1 to CLIENTPC2 it works!
>
> Can somebody please explain this behaviour? I would have expected that RIP
> would build the correct routing table and pass it on to click.

What is the XORP configuration you are using?
E.g., one possible reason that RIP doesn't work for you is because
you are not exporting the connected routes via RIP
(the "export connected" statement in the rip configuration
section).

> Second issue,
>
> I am capturing packets via click using the same testbed described above. To
> do this I have written a .click config file and start another instance of
> click. So at the moment there are 2 instances of click running on my server
> (the first started by XORP in user mode and the second started manually by
> myself). Is there a way to specify the .click configuration in XORP
> configuration file so that there is only one instance of click running on
> my server and that started by XORP in user mode?

The Click configuration used by XORP is generated by an external
script. In the sample XORP Click configuration that script is set to
fea/xorp_fea_click_config_generator.
Hence, you would have to modify that script to add the extra Click
configuration you need. Of course, you could use your own script,
but then that script must follow few requirements. Those are listed
in the beginning of fea/xorp_fea_click_config_generator.